Sunday, January 23, 2011

Posing for Clayton Beck

Final painting


Clayton Beck


What can I say, I'm vain!

I am really interested in art. I feel compelled and pulled to it. I have this need to create and see through others eyes. Last fall, I was asked by Ryan Brown the owner of CAS (Center for Academic Study and Naturalist Painting), a small art school in Springville Utah, to pose for Clayton Becks demo of portrait painting. Clayton Beck is known nationally for portrait painting, he studied with painters like Richard Schmid. The demonstration was really cool. I learned a lot while getting paid, which helped pay for my tuition. I remember that day well because it was the day I got Mckenna's autism diagnosis.
The school teaches after the classic European masters. I was studying figure drawing which was interesting and difficult. At first, I wasn't sure how I would feel about drawing nudes but the atmosphere was totally professional. The human body is so beautiful and very complicated to replicate on paper. I am a total amateur but I have also been studying with Patrick Devonas who is an AMAZING master painter and admirable person. My other very good friend and teacher Mary Jane Grow (yes that is her real name) has been so supportive and taught me about enjoying the process. I have such great friends that are so dear and precious to me. I am so blessed.

No comments: