Saturday, April 25, 2009

Happy Easter Birthday!




Katrina likes to ask us, "how much longer til Easter?" Because her birthday is very close to Easter. On April 9, 2009 she turned 7 but wishes she was 8 because then she will be baptized you see. For her birthday we bought her a bike. She chose training wheels and a bike over a bike with a purse. She is a nervous rider. I think we need outside help. If you are interested in helping, give us a call. For her birthday Grandma Sherry bought her a Barbie scooter. Katrina asked, "Would you be sad if I didn't ride my bike?" I sternly said, "Yes. All kids should learn to ride a bike, even if they have a scooter."
For her birthday we had cake and games which included an Easter egg Pinata and Pin the Tail on the Donkey at my parents house with the cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Good times.

I remember when I was a kid, a whole year felt like an eternity. My Mom said that one day I went to her almost in tears. I explained that I was upset because Chris had had 2 birthdays and I only had one that year. Heheh, I guess I wasn't thinking about how things work chronologically, I just knew that he had two birthdays and I had only had one. The idea that a birthday had been forgotten would be crushing for a child. I believe in the importance of celebrations and traditions. Besides, when you are one of six kids in a family anything that sets you apart from the pack, like a birthday, is very important.

We try to emphasize the true meaning of Easter with our children. The week before Easter Sunday we talk about the Savior and His mission. Traditionally we make "Empty Tomb Rolls." You take a marshmallow (Christ's body), roll it in melted butter and Cinnamon sugar (oils and spices anointing Christ to be buried)and then cover the marshmallow in bread dough (tomb). After baking the rolls they are empty, like the tomb. "He is not here, He is risen." Often we only have peeps on hand, no marshmallows, so the body of Christ is in the shape of a yellow bunny. That could be confusing for a child. Sometimes, in an effort to teach my kids, I just confuse them more.

Katrina was amazed that the Easter Bunny knew exactly what each kid likes to do/have and we had just discussed it the night before Easter. What an amazing fuzzy little rodent!

No comments: