Saturday, April 25, 2009

Giv'em the Bird


Last Sunday we were about to go on a walk as a family. The kids were excited to take their scooters for a ride. I was trying to get the baby ready when I heard a "I'm REALLY hurt" cry from Alex. I walked outside and found Alex at the bottom of the driveway tangled under his three wheel Spider man scooter. I slowly walked over to comfort him. He showed me his hand. His middle finger was purple and the bone was protruding out under the skin at the joint. I buckled him in the car, put a cold pack on his finger and told Spencer that Alex dislocated his finger so I was taking him to urgent care.

On the drive over he stopped crying. When you get Alex alone, he gets really chatty. He told me to call grandma and tell her that she should not buy Spider man scooters for boys for Christmas because they can hurt boys. I explained that scooters are fine for boys to get for Christmas and that accident just happen sometimes.

We walked into the urgent care and Alex was in such high spirits that I checked his finger again. The bone was not protruding anymore but the finger was still in the shape of a "Z." Alex made friends with another little boy in the waiting room, discussing the fish in the aquarium. Then we went back for X-rays. Sometimes when bones dislocate a small piece can chip off. The nice nurse asked Alex to show her which finger hurt. He promptly GAVE HER THE BIRD. I was laughing. He is still talking about the sucker the nurse gave him. He loved the one-on-one time we had and thinks we should see the Doctor more often.

Somewhere between making a new friend at the fish tank in the waiting room and going back for X-rays, the finger popped back into place. So the X-rays showed a perfect little left hand.

No comments: