Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday Plague!

Happy Thanksgiving. Okay, so I'm a little bit "feast or famine" when it comes to blogging and checking my e-mail. You'll get over it I'm sure. I just have to share.

Wow. I got to get this off my back. I read today in the newspaper about an employee for Walmart that got trampled and KILLED when he was opening up the store for black friday. This happened in New York by Manhatten. Warning to Regan/Jacob Breinholt :). A few other people got trampled, including a pregnant woman, 8 months along. So get this....when the people were asked to leave the store because of the death.....they yelled that they had been waiting since thursday morning to shop and wouldn't leave.

How sad is that? How do we get so consumed by being consumers that we become inhumane? Like, what were they thinking? Just step over the dead man...I gotta get a DVD player for cheap. I personally have only once done black friday shopping. I felt that crazy frenzied feeling that comes. It is totally irrational. But the anxiety is there. You feel this shallow urgent need to find the item your looking for and the feeling that your missing out on some great deal.

But there really are no NEEDS, only WANTS, when it comes to Black Friday shopping. It's not like we are hunting for food and shelter. I get it...those cave man instincts kick in and the adrenaline is pumping. But still.... seriously, wouldn't you help someone up if they fell down? Even during crazy concerts that I've been to, people help people get up if they fall down. How ironic that a time of "Thanksgiving" has become a time of Getting and Consuming.

I would rather sleep-in instead of saving $10 on a DVD that I'll watch 2 times or at least shop online for the same deal. I don't like that materialist shallow anxiety feeling that Black Friday induces. It's like the Black Friday flu epidemic that effects a nation. The Black Friday plague. I'm thinking we may need to immunize for the next plague of 2009 to prevent further deaths. Maybe I'll start a foundation. SAVE THE TRAMPLED PEOPLE! IMMUNIZE BY 2009 AMERICA!

1 comment:

Turbo said...

Yeah, man. Those Long Islander's can be pretty trailer, at times. The part that got me was that the people wouldn't leave the store, after they announced that someone had been seriously injured and that they were closing the store. Freaks.