Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I Need Tention




Katrina was feeling as little jealous that Cynthia had a special sleepover with Grandma Musick. It took me a few negative encounters with Katrina, who is usually very pleasant, to recognize her emotional needs. When Katrina was younger we taught her to say, I need some attention. It came out, "I need tention."

She asked me to cuddle with her at bed time which can be interpreted as "I need tention." So while I layed in the cramped bed we had the following conversation:

Me: You are pretty, inside and outside.
Katrina: And I'm funny.
Me: (laughing) Yes you are funny.
Katrina: I learned that from Daddy
Me: Oh really
Katrina: Yeah, I learned healthiness from you. And you taught me swimming. Do you remember that? Daddy taught me funniness and a little Spanish.

Now we know who the funny ones in the family are. LOL

I recognize the negative finger prints I leave on my kids from anxious parenting (anxious parenting is not pretty) and now I know from Katrina's point of view the things Katrina has learned from me.
It made me think, What did I learn from my parents? A lot! I learned from my Dad to love classical music, flowers, Denmark and chocolate. From my Mom I learned to love learning, books and art or creating.

No comments: